Allentown Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
Fighting for the Justice You & Your Family Deserve
Choosing the right nursing home for an elderly loved one is an important but often overwhelming task. Any instance of nursing home neglect is one instance too many, but unfortunately, abuse does still happen in places that are supposed to provide proper care and respect for elderly adults. If you suspect that your loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, it’s important that you get in contact with an experienced nursing home abuse attorney as soon as possible.
The legal team at Knafo Law Offices has over 40 years of combined experience in this area of law. Our Allentown nursing home abuse lawyer and his staff know what to look for when building a case on your behalf. We will use our extensive resources, knowledge, and skills to fight for the rights of your loved one and your family so you can all receive the compensation and care you deserve.
Call (610) 756-1098 or contact us online for your 100% free and no obligation legal consultation today.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
Often, when neglect or abuse occurs in an elder care facility, the affected individuals are unable or unwilling to speak out. It’s important that you know the signs of potential nursing home abuse so that you can safeguard the health, safety, and happiness of your loved one.
Some common signs of nursing home neglect and abuse include:
- Bedsores or decubitus ulcers
- Sudden changes in mood or behavior
- Symptoms of malnutrition or dehydration
- Under- or over-medication
- Sepsis or infections
- Failure to provide requested medical care
- Wandering or elopement
- Misuse of restraint, physical or chemical
- Unexplained bruises or other injuries
- Sudden, unexplained death
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
- Sexual abuse
What Should You Do If You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse?
If you suspect your loved one has been mistreated in while nursing care:
- Call 911 if your loved one is in immediate danger.
- Write down any details you have noticed about the abuse, if available, and collect any supporting evidence you have as well.
- Try to get your loved one in nursing care to open up about the abuse. However, keep in mind that victims of abuse are often too afraid, embarrassed, or worried to open up about what they are going through. Depending on your loved one’s condition and state of mind, they may not even be aware they are being neglected or abused. Be gentle and don’t push them.
- Report the abuse to the nursing home’s management or staff. Try to remain calm and non-accusatory. If they are unable or unwilling to explain provide you with a good explanation for your relative’s condition, further action should be taken elsewhere.
- Report the abuse to the Pennsylvania Department of Aging. You may want to consider filing a police report as well.
- Contact a local nursing home abuse attorney to discuss your legal rights and options. A lawyer can help you and your loved one recover compensation to cover any medical bills, emotional damages, and other losses associated with your case.
How Can a Lawyer Help With a Nursing Home Abuse Case?
If your loved one has been neglected or abused in elder care, an experienced nursing home abuse attorney can guide you through the complicated legal processes that follow. This will mitigate your stress and allow you to focus more on being with your family during this trying time. A lawyer can also communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties on your behalf, calculate and negotiate a fair settlement, and stand up for your case in court should a trial be necessary.
At Knafo Law Offices, we proudly represent both residents and their families who have suffered as a result of nursing home negligence or abuse. We believe that facilities that claim to provide honest care but fail to do so should be held accountable by the civil justice system. We make it our mission to fight for the rights of those who cannot care for themselves.
Our law firm is:
- A dedicated practice that has earned millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements
- Backed by nearly four decades of legal experience both in and out of the courtroom
- Conveniently located in Allentown and staffed by an attorney willing to travel to your home or hospital bed
- The recipient numerous prestigious legal awards from organizations like Avvo and Super Lawyers®
Call (610) 756-1098 or contact us online to learn more about what we can do for you and your family.
Record-Setting $15.2 Million Wrongful Death
Wrongful death case ended in a verdict of over $15 million dollars.
$8.2 Million Car Accident
Car accident verdict.
$7.25 Million Motorcycle Accident
Using mediation after a motorcycle accident, $7,250,000 was awarded.
$4.1 Million Medical Malpractice
Secured a settlement of over $4 million dollars after medical malpractice occurred.
$3 Million Negligent Trucker
Secured a $3 million dollar settlement for client involving a negligent truck driver.